Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Building Theme Based Layouts by Stacey Michaud

Hello everyone!  I am here today to share a layout using the awesome Family Stories collection.  I consider myself to be a theme-based scrapper and will be sharing some tips for how to integrate a theme into your next page.


I had two great photos of my kids that I wanted to use on a layout.  I started with a neutral base, this fabulous woodgrain paper.  Then I started looking for elements that would support my photos.

I was instantly drawn to the Right Now layered sticker because of the girl and boy figures.  I was inspired to scrap about what makes my two children special right now.  The Today chipboard piece was chosen based on the Right Now sentiment.  I decided to use the & stamp to tie those two elements together.  My first cluster was developed. 


I knew that I wanted to incorporate that fabulous paper with all the different numbers.  It went along with my theme as my kids have numerous strengths.  When I cut the paper to place it along the side, I noticed something.  The Two was at the top, left hand side.  I wanted to use it as a part of my title.  It just so happened that the was just below the Two.  I decided to use it as the first letter of the word shine.  A title was born.  To ground the title and draw attention to it, I used the OBSERVATIONS card.  I knew it would also give me a place to journal.  I layered in dimensional objects like the brad and enamel dots.  Those little details finished off my second cluster.


When I looked at the page, it didn't seemed done.  The idea to add the rays of light came at the very end, after my title was developed.   I cut the chevrons strips and simply placed them under the photo cluster.  The sequins were added to give a bit of sparkle.


When scrapping with a theme, look for different papers and elements to support your main idea.  Be sure to gather a hard element like chipboard or an enamel dot.  Incorporate at least one piece of metal such as a brad or sequin.  Finally, collect several stickers or die-cuts that contain relevant icons or matching phrases.  Doing this can help you to create fantastic and unique clusters.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...